If you are feeling stressed out or anxious you may benefit from mindfulness meditation. Mindfulness meditation is a practice which focuses on slowing down your thoughts and calming your mind and body. It may seem paradoxical to think of relaxing and focusing at the same time, but it's actually a very effective way of calming down, guiding negative thoughts, and bringing yourself into a healthier state of mind. If you need help dealing with stress, anxiety, or depression, you should find a therapist in Towson MD that can guide you through a mindfulness meditation.
How to Practice Mindfulness Meditation
Mindfulness meditation is designed to be simple enough that you can practice it anytime and anywhere.
1) Sit or lie down somewhere comfortable, like a chair or couch, or even the floor, and get comfortable.
2) Loosen any tight clothing.
3) Breathe slowly and deeply and focus on your breathing. Notice the way it feels as the air enters and leaves your body, notice the way your stomach rises and falls.
4) Allow yourself to have thoughts, just let thoughts come and go as they will, making note of each as it passes.
5) Get into a state where you are observing your own thoughts from a remote point of view. This will start to separate you from your thoughts, give you some distance from them, whether they are positive or negative thoughts.
6) Be patient with yourself. If you lose your focus and get carried away with distracting thoughts, it's alright, just calmly bring your mind back to your breathing and observing.
If you have a hard time with this meditation, you can download a meditation app to help. If, on the other hand, you get too lost in your meditation and lose track of time, you might want to set a gentle timer before you start.
The Impact of Mindfulness Meditation
Mindfulness meditation may help reduce your stress and anxiety. It offers a safe space for you to get in touch with yourself, and your thoughts and feelings. Whatever you are thinking or feeling, it can be a source of peace for you.
Looking for a Mindfulness Meditation Therapist in Towson, MD?
B'well Counseling Services is a mental health therapy practice offering a full range of therapeutic services including holistic therapy in Towson, MD and the Greater Baltimore area. We believe in helping people rekindle their curiosity and reconnect to their core selves so that they can truly be well. We value wellness and connection over happiness because we understand that being able to experience the full range of human emotions and experiences is what helps us heal and grow. At B'well, we are dedicated to creating a space for anyone who has ever felt unwelcome because of their identity, orientation, or expression.